There are studies that have been done that show that 50 percent of women who have had an abortion will suffer from some type of emotional trauma. This trauma could possibly manifest itself in the form of abusive relationships, drug and alcohol abuse, depression, and even post-traumatic stress disorder “Abortion Risks: A List of Major Psychological Complications Related to Abortion,” 2011.
Post abortion syndrome is a series of disorders that are a result of the emotional pain experienced when the nervous system is traumatized by an abortion. Symptoms may not appear all together nor will each woman/man possess all of them. If you find that you experience between 5-7 of the following emotions, following an abortion, you might consider seeking help for post abortion stress/trauma.
- abusive behavior
- alcohol and / or drug use
- avoids baby reminders (like baby showers, baby stores, etc.)
- changes in relationship / marriage (70% of relationships/marriages break up within 1 year of an abortion, 90% within 5 years)
- control issues
- crying spells
- difficulty in all types of intimacy
- divides time into “before” and “after” the abortion
- eating disorders
- fails to bond with subsequent children
- loss of interest in sex
- loss of normal sources of pleasure
- marital stress
- need of financial success
- over-protective of living children
- promiscuity or frigidity
- reduced motivation
- self-punishing and / or self-degrading behavior
- sleep disturbances
- strained relationship with living children
- suicidal impulses
- tolerates abusive relationships
- wants atonement / replacement child
Note: Sometimes these symptoms happen immediately and sometimes these symptoms may not surface for 5-20 years following the procedure.
We offer a 10 week healing support group will all materials provided. If you think you are experiencing these symptoms please give us a call – we can help you can heal! All of our services are free and confidential.
New support group starting Monday, July 13th @10 a.m. Give us a call at 207 253-5555 or email us at email@example.com to get involved.